Royal Wedding boosts bakery sales
Patriotic shoppers are stocking up on classic British foods ahead of today’s Royal Wedding, says Tesco, with the wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle set to create a feel good factor on British streets and in gardens as Brits hold celebratory parties.
Sales at Tesco of specially created Royal Wedding cakes, party foods such as Scotch eggs, scones, jam, clotted cream – and of course fizz to toast the couple’s health – were all expected to soar.
In the week leading up to the Royal Wedding, Tesco predicted that it will sell 5 kilometres of bunting and around 1.5 million packets of scones – enough to get from Windsor Castle to Wembley, hosting the FA Cup Final later that day, six times.
Other pre-Royal Wedding sales predictions are as follows:
- Nearly 35,000 packs of clotted cream
- 1 million cream cakes
- 6,000 limited edition Royal Wedding cakes
- Nearly 1.5 million packs of tea
- 700,000 jars of jam
- More than 2 million punnets of strawberries
- More than 3 million sausage rolls
- Nearly 1.5 million Scotch and savoury eggs
- 2 million pork pies
- More than 8 million cocktail sausages
- 15 million bread rolls for burgers and sausages for BBQs (assisted by today’s warm weather)
- Nearly 1.5 million tubs of ice cream
- Nearly 3 million ice lollies
Joe Pothecary, manager of Tesco’s nearby Windsor Superstore, said local shoppers had been noticeably stocking up on party style foods: “We know from the last Royal Wedding and the Queen’s Jubilee celebration just how much Brits love a royal celebration, and the marriage of Harry and Meghan will spark a feel good factor across the land with plenty of street and house parties.
He continues: “British party classics like pork pies and Scotch eggs, as well as all the ingredients needed for a classic cream tea, are in high demand. And for sports fans, there is the added bonus of the FA and Scottish Final cup finals, which take place later in the afternoon, so for many the fun is likely to last into the night.”
Besides the specially created Victoria Sponge, Tesco also created a Royal Wedding bouquet and special Royal Wedding Shortbread housed in a commemorative tin.